Branyan Clinic is introducing its newest program ONERO™ in July 2023 for those diagnosed with osteoporosis and/or osteopenia. We are proud to be the only ONERO™ program location in Bundaberg.
ONERO™ is an evidence-based exercise program designed specifically to prevent osteoporotic fracture by stimulating bone development and preventing falls in at-risk individuals. The evidence on which the ONERO™ program is based is derived from the findings of the LIFTMOR randomised controlled trial published in the JBMR.
The fully supervised, twice weekly, exercise protocol is targeted specifically to bone, being brief but high intensity. The ONERO™ program is currently delivered clinically at The Bone Clinic in Brisbane, its affiliated training locations and through Licensees across Australia.
The ONERO™ program is based on the outcomes of the LIFTMOR and MEDEXOP trials, published in the attached peer-reviewed publications.
EFFECTIVE EXERCISE FOR OSTEOPOROSIS
A growing body of scientific evidence has demonstrated that ONERO™, supervised, bone-targeted high intensity resistance and impact training, reduces osteoporotic fracture risk in postmenopausal women and older men with low to very low bone mass [1-8]. The evidence-based ONERO™ program improves bone, muscle, and physical function and is safe for people with low bone mass when supervised [1-8].
INCLUDES FALL PREVENTION EXERCISES
The risk of osteoporotic fracture is greatly increased in people who fall. ONERO™ training includes exercises to improve balance and thereby reduces osteoporotic fracture risk both by improving bone and reducing falls.
We recommend a number of simple functional assessments before beginning ONERO™ so effectiveness can be monitored. These tests form part of a vital strategy to track real world safety and effectiveness of the ONERO™ program in the larger research program underway at The Bone Clinic.
The safety of the ONERO™ program depends on clinical assessment to recognise co-existing conditions so that the program can be implemented without risk of injury or exacerbation of existing conditions. A hallmark of the ONERO™ program is a requirement for close supervision by allied health professionals. Only coaches with the appropriate clinical training and expertise are permitted to deliver ONERO™ to people living with osteoporosis.
The ONERO™ program is designed to improve osteoporosis or osteopenia but consultation with a primary care provider and/or specialist is recommended to understand all treatment options.
1. Watson SL, Weeks BK, … Beck BR: High-Intensity Resistance and Impact Training Improves Bone Mineral Density and Physical Function in Postmenopausal Women with Osteopenia and Osteoporosis: The LIFTMOR Randomized Controlled Trial. JBMR 33(2):211-220, 2018
2. Watson SL, Weeks BK, … Beck BR: High-intensity exercise did not cause vertebral fractures and improves thoracic kyphosis in postmenopausal women with low to very low bone mass: The LIFTMOR trial Osteoporosis Int, 30(5):957–964, 2019
3. Harding AT, Weeks BK, …Beck BR: A comparison of bone-targeted exercise strategies to reduce fracture risk in middle-aged and older men with osteopenia and osteoporosis: LIFTMOR-M semi-randomized controlled trial. JBMR. 35(8):1404–1414, 2020
4. Harding AT, Weeks BK, …Beck BR: Effects of supervised high-intensity resistance and impact training or machine-based isometric training on ..bone geometry and strength in middle-aged and older men with low bone mass: The LIFTMOR-M semi-randomized controlled trial. Bone 136:115362, 2020
5. Harding AT, Weeks BK, … Beck BR: Exploring thoracic kyphosis and incident fracture from vertebral morphology with high-intensity exercise in middle aged and older men with osteopenia and osteoporosis: a secondary analysis of The LIFTMOR-M trial. Osteoporosis Int 32, 451–465, 2021
6. Kistler-Fischbacher M, Yong J, Weeks BK, Beck BR: A comparison of bone-targeted exercise with and without antiresorptive bone medication to reduce indices of fracture risk in postmenopausal women with low bone mass: the MEDEX-OP randomised controlled trial. JBMR Sep;36(9):1680-1693, 2021
7. Kistler-Fischbacher M, Yong J, Weeks BK, Beck BR: High-Intensity Exercise and Geometric Indices of Hip Bone Strength in Postmenopausal Women on or off Bone Medication: The MEDEX-OP Randomised Controlled Trial, Calcified Tiss Int Online First 13/6/22, DOI: 10.1007/s00223-022-00991-z
8. Beck BR: Exercise prescription for osteoporosis: Back to Basics. Perspectives for Progress ESSR, 50(2):57-64, 2022
For a full listing of relevant publications and reports, visit https://theboneclinic.com.au
Book an Appointment
Your first ONERO™ consultation is 45 minutes and includes a number of simple functional physical assessments. We ask that you bring your most recent bone density scan, and Patient Health Summary (including relevant medical history and up to date medication list). These can be obtained from your GP.
Appointments may be scheduled privately or via a GP referral.
Ask our friendly reception to discuss and/or book an appointment on (07) 4150 1800.
- Private health insurance rebates for Exercise Physiology processed through HiCAPS.
- Medicare rebate is available for eligible Medicare GPMP/TCA (GP Management Plan / Team Care Arrangement) referrals. There is a small gap between the Medicare rebate and our fees.
- DVA Health Cards (Gold and White) are accepted as payment upon a GP referral.